One of the goals I set for myself this year is to become more consistent in all aspects of my life. I sort of had things I would do in the morning and evening but I never really stuck to them although they had a positive impact on myself and how my day would generally go, so decided to nip this inconsistency in the bud and get a routine going for myself.
I wanted to create a routine to 1 ; use my time more productively and 2; spend time doing things that bring me pleasure instead of feeling like my days go to being at work and being to exhausted to do anything much for myself.
I also needed a more positive start and end to my day. See my job kinda drains me emotionally and I can’t be carrying that energy everyday with no outlet and honestly weekends are way too short to try and squeeze in all my fun and destressing activities without me feeling tired for a new week.
Lastly I needed to personally feel more organised so attending to myself spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically as well as get my household chores under control would help me keep sane.
I am not at all an expert on setting routines so I scoured the internet looking at people’s different tricks and tips and decided to share with you all and maybe this will help you on setting your own routine.
Step 1: Identify why you want to set a morning and evening routine or either one.
Step 2: Identify would you would like to accomplish in the morning and evening and jot these down.
– Like I mentioned I want to establish these routines to bring about more order and personal satisfaction.
-My ideal Morning Routine:
- Read my Bible / scripture book and make notes.
- Get in a 20 -30 minute workout.
- 5 minute morning meditation.
- Make myself a yummy cup of coffee.
-My Ideal Evening Routine:
- Workout 20-30 mins, shower and get comfy.
- Enjoy my favourite YouTube videos.
- Do 5-10 mins of general cleaning (avoid having to do it all in one day if I do it bit by bit during the week).
- Read atleast 3-4 pages from a book.
- Plan my work outfit and to-do list for the next day.
- Enjoy a cup of tea.
- Be off my phone by 9pm.
- Meditate and pray.
How to make your routines stick?
- Set a wake up and sleep time: You are aware of what time you need to be at work/ school and what you would like to accomplish so set a realistic time. If you realise your times might not workout for you in the long run then maybe move some priorities on your list to weekend activities. Make it work for you. Try stick to your routine not only on weekdays but weekends as well to fully get acquainted with it.
- Pick a specific space to do your tasks, choose a place to write, workout , drink your tea / coffee preferably none of your tasks must take place while you are in your bed.
- Try to get some fresh air in the morning, whether it be a walk our just sitting outside for a few minutes. Take in the beauty of a new day.
- Set a personal intention for yourself daily. Gives you a positive thing to focus on throughout your day. It can be as simple as being kind to people in your space throughout the day or finishing of tasks in a timely fashion. Anything you want.
- Do something you love ( more so in your morning routine) gives you something to look forward to for having to wake up early. This can be a big or small thing it’s up to you.
- You always seem to spend touch time in the shower or getting ready? Create a playlist that fits the amount of time you need to get ready and play that in order to keep you on track and also allows you to jam to your favourite tracks.
Routines are hard to stick to I’m the beginning we all know this but keep giving it a shot especially if you know this will add a positive change to how your day goes.
And allow yourself to be flexible with it, chop and change things that don’t fit you anymore. Make it easy for yourself as well.
I will try out my routine for atleast a month and let you guys know how it really went and if I have made any changes.
To actively doing better.